25 Examples Of Up-To-Date Genetics Dissertation Topics
Genetics is a broad topic and includes the study of genetics in humans, animals, plants, in fact, all living things. Some of the more recent studies in genetics have raised some ethical issues. These can make for interesting dissertation topics. Here are 25 suggestions for genetics topics you may want to write about:
- What is stem cell research and what are the benefits and risks of stem cell therapy?
- Stem cell research using human embryos – the ethical issues around this topic
- Cloning to make stem cells – ethical issues, advantages and disadvantages
- Cloning animals used in medical research – how this can save researchers’ time
- Cloning your deceased pet – (look up “CC” the cat) – will it look exactly the same?
- Cloning farm animals for breeding stock
- Cloning humans – science fiction or a real possibility?
- Telomeres and cancer – telomere dysfunction in tumor development
- Telomeres and ageing – foods and nutrients that promote telomere length and affect longevity
- The four types of DNA – Y-Line DNA, Mitochondrial DNA, Autosomal DNA, the X chromosome
- Mitochondrial DNA – how mothers can pass this DNA to their children, but fathers cannot
- What happens when there are too few or too many chromosomes?
- Addictions and the brain – chemical responses to drugs and other substances
- Using slow delivery of a drug to reduce withdrawal symptoms
- Genes and addictions – can people be born addicts?
- Does addiction run in families?
- The adolescent brain – how taking drugs during this risk taking period of development could lead to lifetime addiction
- The medical marijuana debate
- The benefits and risks of Ritalin use – effects on the brain
- Is Ritalin addictive?
- Can other planets be inhabitable and what does a planet need to be inhabitable?
- Pharmacogenomics – developing customized medical treatments to suit individual genetic signatures.
- Epigenetics – chemical reactions within an organism
- The role of nutrition in altering gene expression
These are just some of the topics that you could write your genetics dissertation on. Genetic researchers and scientists continue to make new discoveries that help us to understand the genetics of living organisms, as well as ways to improve the quality of life, treat diseases, and understand the world around us.